Monday, March 17, 2008

The Practicality of Change

It seems I've decided to start blogging about practical libertarianism. As a writer of fiction, I have, as of late, found myself less interested in Harry Potter, and more interested in F.A. Hayek's The Road to Serfdom. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to finish Harry Potter because it's awesome, but Hayek has really grabbed my attention.

So why blog about practical libertarianism? Is there such a thing? So many in the libertarian party (which will from now on be referred to as LP, as I am clearly too lazy to type full words when I don't have to) argue for change, but I don't feel we talk enough about how to pragmatically move into the system we espouse.

Let us keep in mind that America finds itself up to it's teeth in a 3 trillion dollar war (Falk 16), a broken welfare state, and a marketplace prominently owned by a few parties. How do we begin to get out of this muck? How long will it take?

And how in God's name do we find ourselves here?!

I'm not here to figure it all out, but this libertarian is a practical one, and I am here to look at the complex issues facing us today, and share what one libertarian perspective is on it all.

I am one individual, but I have a voice, and hopefully my writings will find an audience, no matter how small, so that ideas can continue to swim amongst us, freely.

TL


Works Cited

Falk, William, et al, eds. "The $3 Trillion Dollar War." The Week. 21 Mar. 2008: 16.

Hayek, F.A. The Road to Serfdom. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1944.


No comments: